Iran Fires on U.S. Forces in Jordan Gets Answered With Joint U.S.-Saudi Airstrikes on Tehran’s Proxies in Iraq
It happened fast. At 5:45 p.m. Eastern time on Tuesday, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps launched multiple ballistic missiles from Iranian soil, aimed at U.S. forces stationed in Jordan — widely believed to be Muwaffaq Salti Air Base, a site that has already been hit once this month in an attack that killed American service members. Jordan’s state news agency reported that air defenses shot down five incoming missiles. U.S. Central Command confirmed the outcome bluntly: every single missile was intercepted. No American troops were harmed.
“All Iranian missiles were successfully intercepted. U.S. forces remain vigilant and at a high state of readiness,” CENTCOM said in its statement — a short, plain sentence that says everything about where American deterrence stands right now.
This wasn’t some ambiguous skirmish or a proxy drone strike Tehran could hide behind. This was a direct, state-sponsored attack launched from Iranian territory itself, the first of its kind since a brief lull in hostilities began last week. And it failed completely.
PT: Hours Later, the Answer Comes — From Two Countries, Not One
CENTCOM SAYS IRGC launched 'ATTEMPTED SURPRISE MISSILE ATTACK' on US BASES across Middle EAST
— RT Intl (@RT_on_X) July 28, 2026
'ALL were SUCCESFULLY INTERCEPTED'
Says its forces remain 'VIGILANT' and at 'HIGH STATE OF READINESS' pic.twitter.com/N1bQvDLW2f
What happened next mattered just as much as the failed missile attack itself. In the early morning hours of Wednesday, U.S. and Saudi fighter aircraft struck multiple terrorist logistics and weapons sites across eastern Iraq — a direct response, CENTCOM said, to more than 30 IRGC-directed drone attacks against U.S. forces and Saudi energy infrastructure over the previous 72 hours.
What makes this strike different from the strikes that came before it is who flew the mission. This marked the first time in the entire conflict that Saudi Arabia has conducted joint air operations directly alongside the United States. Riyadh’s Foreign Ministry confirmed the operation was carried out in coordination with CENTCOM and justified under Article 51 of the UN Charter — the right of self-defense. The Kingdom said it isn’t looking to escalate further, but made clear it “will not hesitate to take all necessary measures” if attacked again.
That’s not a small development. For years, getting Gulf partners to openly fly combat missions next to American pilots has been treated as a diplomatic long shot. It happened this week, against the very network of Iranian proxies that has spent months trying to bleed out American and allied resolve through deniable drone strikes and militia attacks. Iraq’s Popular Mobilization Forces, the umbrella group housing many of these Iran-backed militias, reported significant casualties from the strikes and called it a “dangerous escalation.” Tehran’s proxies don’t get to attack allied energy infrastructure and American troops for free and then complain when the bill comes due.
